how long should a dental office keep eobs

It depends on the type of document youre storing. For yourself and your immediate family, you should keep medical records pertaining to the following as you get them: When it comes to your history, you should keep certain records forever, store them safely, and update them as new conditions are diagnosed or medications or health statuses change. The audit of records is the insurance company records, not medical records from a provider. That includes advance directives such as a living will and healthcare proxy. Keeping the EOBs for a longer period of time is always better, just in case they are needed. Malpractice or HIPPA laws may require a longer retention. 2021 Zap Dental Billing |All Rights Reserved. Anything related to payment such as a 485 or or EOB or client statement should not be in the medical chart. If they are simply paper documents, they will take up more space and be more difficult to store than if they are electronic. A updated post on record retention with a simple record retention schedule can be found here. . I recommend that electronic documents that you are posting from be electronically archived with other daily work scanned paper EOBs, deposit slips, reconciliation sheets, etc. Thanks! You caught me in a mistake! Store them in a locked filing cabinet or safe that is well-protected, ensuring you share the code or key with a trusted person to access if absolutely necessary, says Minesh Patel, principal attorney of The Patel Firm in Texas. All offices have patients that call and dispute an invoice or ask why a certain procedure wasnt covered. Is it 6, or 10 years for Medicare that we must keep patient records from their last visit? Unfortunately, the superbill is an accounting record and should be kept for 7 years. What is the importance of having the right films, charting, and photos? These are payers that we are set up electronically with for EFT. Thanks. Insurance correspondence - could be part of the medical record if it has to do with patient care. Any record with a clinical purpose is 10 years. Member's Only Content You must be a member to view this content. How long do you need to keep dental charts? These include: RELATED: How to request copies of your medical records. 7 How long should I Keep my Explanation of benefits? But, there can be a time limit to retrieve historical EOBs so it is not a good practice to rely on this method. Fax: 1 (860) 730-6460. "><\/script>'); Keep reading to . However for IRS audit reasons, it may be wise for a provider to retain for at least 7 years. If you are a solo practitioner, you may want to keep them for a longer period of time than if you are part of a group practice. document.write('